Sunday, November 27, 2011

Holiday Pinning

 I finished my first holiday pinterest project! Hooray! I was a little nervous about trying out this particular craft, but I think it turned out alright. Here is my St. Nicolas Pottery Barn Knockoff!







Like I mentioned earlier, I found this project on Pinterest. The link took me to bowerpowerblog.com. The chick that did this originally found this Santa print from Pottery Barn. She really liked the look of it, but wasn't too fond of the picetag. (go figure.) So she used an enlarging method she learned from her middle school art teacher. Basically, you take the photo you like (in this case, the PB Santa) draw a grid over it, then draw the same grid (only bigger) on the canvas you are putting it on. After you draw the lines, all you do is draw the picture box by box until it's completed.
The chick I borrowed this idea from used a huge piece of plywood, drew her grid lines in pencil, and filled it in with a paint pen. I used a cheap canvas I found for $5 at Walmart, some rubber bands, (instead of drawing my grid, Jon had the brilliant idea to use rubber bands. He's a clever one, that's why I keep him around. No erase marks for me!) and a pencil. Also, I didn't have a printout of the PB Santa, so I just went to bowerpowerblog and used my iPhone to zoom in. (Just one more reason why I can't live without it!)
Since he's not as big as I originally wanted, I'm going to have to find something to go around him. He looks a little lonely above my fireplace. I'll post more pictures when I figure it out.