Sunday, January 6, 2013

Contractions, Hospitals, and Medicines, OH MY!

So, Saturday night Jon and I invited a few families over for Chili and games. We love game nights and since I've been feeling a little tired and blue lately (35 weeks of pregnancy does that to you) I was really looking forward to it. Everyone was set to arrive around 5:30-6:00.
Guess what happened at 5:00? Contractions. Lots of them. Perfect right? I drank a bunch of water and sat myself down trying to get them to slow, but no deal. They kept right on coming along with some pretty intense pressure. Luckily, all of our friends had arrived and were perfectly willing to hang with our boys. It was seriously, such a blessing. I'm always worried about what to do with my boys when that big day rolls around and it was such a relief to know that they were taken care of.
Anyways, fast forward a few hours and I'm all checked into the hospital. They do a cervical exam and say that I'm 50% effaced and dilated to a one. No big deal, but the contractions just won't stop. They call my doc and she says to give me some saline and a dose of Flexeril.
Side Note: I'm not a huge fan of Flexeril. It makes me super drowsy and loopy. It basically makes me feel like I haven't slept in 3 days and I start to giggle at everything. Ugh.
So, fast forward a few more hours and a bag of saline later and the contractions still aren't stopping. They hang another bag and call my doc. At this point, it's getting close to 11:00. My doc says I get to stay overnight and if this second bag of saline won't work I get some magnesium. Woo.
At this point, I start to cry. I realize that Jon will have to go back to the house to be with the boys and I will have to stay and deal with these contractions by myself. I know, i know, I am a weeny. I know this. But I don't care. I am a big baby chicken and I don't like to be by myself. Especially in hospitals.
Anyways, Jon leaves after I fall asleep. I go in an out for several hours. I vaguely remember the nurse coming in to give me the magnesium. I wake up at around 3:30 feeling pretty nauseous, but I manage to go back to sleep. When I finally wake up at around 6:30 my contractions have pretty much stopped, I'm on my third bag of saline, and my feet and hands look like they belong to someone 100lbs heavier than me.
Jon shows up with the boys at about 7:30 and by 8:30 they said I was free to go.

Now I'm home and I'm just as tired as ever. The contractions are still coming but not nearly as close or intense as they were. Even though I hated staying overnight, I realize it's what needed to be done. I'm so glad that they were able to get things under control. The hospital I am delivering at does not have a NICU so if my little one had decided to come early, he would have had to be moved to another hospital close by. Not cool. This boy needs to stay put for a few more weeks. Plus, I don't have a carseat for him yet, so if he wants a ride home he had better wait until next payday at the very least :)


2 comments:

Ruby said...

Good luck these next few weeks! You're a brave woman.

Ryan and Ashley Campbell said...

Oh no! Well at least he's staying in for now. Wish we were there!