Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wizard of Oz Enrichment


     One of my current callings in my ward is the Personal Home and Family Enrichment Coordinator. This month was my first Enrichment project and I had so much fun putting it together! The R.S. Presidency and I worked hard and I think it all paid off.
     We did a "Wizard of Oz" activity. The girls came into the gym to find it decorated like "Kansas". The tables were covered in white table cloths, we had sunflowers in canning jars with mulch for the center pieces, and we served a country lunch. (pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, baked beans, green beans, salad and lemonade.) 
     Before we starting eating, we had our R.S. President tell the girls that the "Wizard of Oz was having a party, but when he found out about our Visiting Teaching numbers he said we couldn't come until we learned how to use our head, hearts, and courage, to do Visiting Teaching." After the meal, the girls went to a class with 3 lessons. 

1. The Brains of Visiting Teaching.
    This taught the girls where to find the lesson, how to give it, and what to do if you can't get a hold of the person you are supposed to teach.
2. The Heart of Visiting teaching. 
    This class talked about caring for the girls that you teach and how to develop a love for  Visiting Teaching
3. The Courage to do Visiting Teaching
    This class is pretty self- explanatory. They talked about how it's not always easy to give a lesson to some of your peers, especially if you don't really know them. They learned about ways to overcome their fears.

     While the girls were in their classes, the presidency and I took all of the "Kansas" decorations down, and turned the gym into "Oz".  When they left the classroom we had a "yellow brick road" on the wall. ( yellow paper with Visiting Teaching Quotes glued to the front.) We replaced the white table cloths with colorful ones, we hung stars across the room, and we served colorful cupcakes for desert. We also had the Wicked soundtrack playing in the background. (i love that soundtrack!)

     I was really nervous about what the girls would think of the Activity, but it seemed to go over well. The ladies we had teach the lessons were the stars of this whole thing. Without them, the activity never would have happened. They really went out of their way to make it great and I am so grateful to them! I hope the next activity we have goes as well and this one did!


Here are a few pictures of "OZ". I didn't even think about photos until one of the girls asked about it before we took it all down. Sorry the quality isn't so great, I took them on my phone.


1 comment: