I always knew this day would come. I've always known I would only nurse my babies for a year. Well, Spencer turns 1 on March 3. We have begun the weaning process and let me tell you, it has not been fun.
Usually when Spencer wakes up, the first thing I do is nurse him. This morning, however, I gave him his sippy with warm vitamin d milk. This was NOT ok with him. He cried, and cried, and cried some more. He would take his sippy, throw it on the ground, and reach for me. I felt so bad for him! But not bad enough to nurse him.
Eventually, he took the sippy and went on with the day. Now, one thing you need to understand about Spencer is this: he is a comfort eater. (I admit, he gets this from me!) If he gets hurt, he wants to nurse. If he gets sad, he wants to nurse. When he is sleepy, he wants to nurse. This list goes on and on! Anytime anything happens to this kid, he wants to nurse. So, you can imagine what my day has been like. Spencer has been very upset with me. But, I am proud to say, I have not given in. He has had only vitamin d milk today.
Spencer:0
Mama:1
(by the way, this whole weaning thing has really taken a toll on my body. i have these enormous, bulbous, things attached to the front of my body! normally i would be happy about this, but not now. now, every time i move my upper body i want to cry. weaning is hard.)
2 comments:
I know it's a little late now, but start replacing his afternoon feeding(s) with sippy cup milk. Then after about a week, try to only do morning and night feedings. Eventually you can cut those out at the same time, or drop one at a time. It's not as painful slowly weaning, although it drags it out more.
haha. you are doing an awesome job!it is pretty painful when you stop altogether. i had to do that with max and i think i was in more pain than he was! you can do it :)
Post a Comment