Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hospital Stay

Lately, the biggest discomfort of my pregnancy has been my back pain.
Some days are worse than others but yesterday was horrible.
I had terrible back pain all morning and by the afternoon it was combined with what I thought were a few small contractions.
I tried to drink plenty of water and keep off my feet, but with an almost 2 year old, that is a lot easier said than done.
Eventually I ended up calling Dr. Crownover.
He asked me come in so he could give me an exam and monitor my contractions.
So, at about 2:00 yesterday afternoon Jon and I headed to Siloam Springs.
Once we got there he gave me my exam and, thankfully, I was not dilated.
I was, however, slightly effaced.
Dr. Crownover didn't seem too concerned about it.
As long as I wasn't dilating, he said there were several things they could do to stop the contractions once they figured out how quickly they were coming.
So, he hooked me up to their fetal monitor for about 45 minutes.
When he came back to look at the results I was shocked.
Turns out, I was having contractions every 2 or 3 minutes. (!)
This explains all the back pain I was having.
Obviously, that many contractions this early in the pregnancy is not a good thing.
He sent me across the street to the hospital to be admitted.
Once I got there, they gave me a room and hooked me up to the fetal monitor.
After about an hour or so, they came in to give me a shot call Brethine.
Brethine is a very interesting drug.
It acts as as stimulant in some areas, so my heart started racing and I got very jittery, but it also relaxed my uterus.
It took two shots of this drug to get my contractions under control.
Thankfully, it worked and we were able to go home at about 7:00 last night.
Now I am on bed rest until Friday morning when I go in for my regular doctor's appointment.
Dr. Crownover is supposed to check me again to make sure everything is still good, so keep your fingers crossed!

This whole experience had me pretty worried.
My contractions this time around are very different than the ones I had with Spencer.
I didn't realize they could be different!
33 weeks is just too soon to be having these issues.
Hopefully, with enough rest, this will all die down and Mr. William will decide to stay put for at least another month.

2 comments:

Liz and Jared said...

That's scary, Kara! I am sorry you had to go through all of that but I am glad the contractions settled down. I hope Mr. Spencer decides to be really sweet and calm so you can get some good rest in. I can't believe you are already 33 weeks!

benandchayfuller said...

Back pain can also be caused by how he is laying inside of you. If his feet are towards the back and he is kicking it causes back pain. Just an fyi :)